Tuesday, 9 July 2013

DEVI KAVACHAM AND HELP WITH BAD HABITS



## COMMENTS ARE NOW CLOSED FOR THIS BLOG POST##


The Devi Kavacham is a "must do" recitation text for all those pursuing the Shakti path or worship of Divine Mother, as it basically provides a field of protection around you - Kavacham means armour and there are many other famous kavachas to recite. Its purpose essentially is to free you from evil tendencies, so it's a sort of functional instruction manual on psychic protection, rather than a tender love poem of praise.

Our modern lives are often surprisingly entwined with darkness, with astral entities that feed off energy - especially sexual energy - and can latch on to us like monstrous, but hidden parasites, drawing away our "Virya", our subtle but essential brightness that is so essential to spiritual success.

The Devi Kavacham is a no-nonsense way to cleanse and protect yourself. Evil entities cannot penetrate it.

If all this sounds a little fanciful, please be aware of the fact that our mundane earthly plane of existence is influenced by astral worlds, as clearly laid out in the Shastras, the sacred texts and recorded memories of the Sanatan Dharma. Our own life is composed of various subtle and interconnected layers or "sheaths", and things come and go, a bit like flies buzzing in and out of a window on a summers day. Their exact form - if you happen to see them - is determined by culture, but there are nasties out there just surviving on syphoning off energy.

If you have problems with compulsions of any kind, reciting a kavacham every day, or at least before you sleep is prudent and essential. 

What kind of compulsions? Obsessive sexual thoughts, thoughts of greed, unexplained storms of rage, feels of defeat despair and even suicide; obsessive behaviour patterns like cutting oneself, problems with obsessive neatness; laziness; torpor; the urge to steal, the urge to lie; the urge to cruel or malicious acts... if you are struggling with any of these you need to free yourself, because the dark gravitational pull of them attract swarms of entities looking for an energy fix, and the energy of those on the spiritual path can be especially juicy!

Don't then leap to the conclusion that natural urges are inherently "wrong" in some way. They are not. The urge to eat, procreate etc are all part of the human template, neither good nor evil. But it's what gets added to the urges to intensify thrills that can cause the problem.

The kavacham is also an excellent way to tackle addictions - drink, cigarettes, recreational drugs, gambling, you name it. This is the armour you need to wear or you get shot to pieces by forces of which you are unaware and cannot name. It deflects and destroys curses, too. So if misfortune dogs your steps or your families, recite this. Recite it with grim determination, as if you are about to join battle. This gives you victory. But remember, too, nothing happens overnight. You need patience and stubborn, day by day obstinacy. So don't make absurd commitments to recite, and then fail to live up to them. Be realistic. 

The Devi in the form of Durga, Camunda, Kali, Bhairavi, is wrathful and warrior-like. This is how she does battle - through the Kavach.

You will find that things disappear from your ordinary mind, when you recite this kavach, which have held you back maybe all your adult life. It is a marvellous tonic, and it only takes 15 minutes max! What could be simpler, but again, like all medicine... take it regularly.

My own experience of regular kavach recitation is that it simply kills dead a whole bed of thoughts, samskaras and tendencies that can tend to disturb someone set on celibacy or brahmacharya. And one day I felt something lift from me. Hard to describe this event, but in the middle of a very hot summer, suddenly for a few hours I was as cold as ice, and then... freed up.

As from July 2015, this text is now something the blogger chants every day, along with the Siddha Kunjika Stotram, at the conclusion to daily recitation of either the sri Lalita Sahasranam or the Sri Vishnu Sahasranam.

All kavachas (two famous ones are to Narayana and Narasimhadev) hold out some extravagant claims at their end, and this is no exception. But don't recite for the rewards, recite for its protection!

The Devi Kavach also keeps you close to Her, to your real Mother. She will do battle for Her child, just as you will do battle for Her. She is always victorious. She will help clean you and purify you. Now don't expect an overnight miracle. You have to put in some effort here. The real devotee will stick with it, will start to make this a beneficial habit, until it becomes as much a part of you as the clothes you wear. Imagine the feeling of freedom this brings you! Fearlesslessness, because you are so protected! Calmness, because you are no longer held back by bad habits, no longer self-defeating! Loving, because your ability to love is unveiled, recitation by recitation. 

It normally gets chanted at the start of the Devi Mahatyam, but should also be used on its own. This is medicine. Take it regularly and get well. Can you afford not to?

Here's a little test. read the meaning of the kavach as it directs protection to each and every part of you. Then have a look and see which aspect of the Devi protects the heart.

If you are worried about mispronouncing the names and getting some instant unpleasant karmic zap in return, might be a good idea to wonder what sort of image of the Devi you might have. Many of us in the West come from christian or Jewish backgrounds growing up, where the concept of hellfire, punishment and an angry, vengeful and petty god were not hard to find. Don't bring this image into Shakti worship. She is your Mother, for goodnesss sake! If you had a child and the child mispronounced your name, would then immediately punish the child? No, you would smile.

There is a you tube version of the Devi Kavacham that will help out here, so check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqgvyF9LBHk

NOTE:AUGUST 2015

The text published earlier contains a few mis-steps, and needs to be corrected. But this is quite a labour, so when I get round to it, I will try and transcribe it properly. In the meantime the text has now been removed, until it can be properly written. Apologies, but I do not have a text to send you, so please don't ask me...


50 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Thank you for posting this powerful stotra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it, hope it helps one and all...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bd...i absolutely do not agree with recitation of these stotras...(unless one is strictly vegeatrian& teetotal)the sanskrit is far tooooo fiery......i;m sorry but i completely disagree with u...faith develops with the NAMES...not with these powefrul stotras that can cause more harm than good with the WRONG mind...sorry BD ...i love ur blog...but here i gotta disagree...all the best brother...plz believe me the Goddess of Sankrit is an energy Who must be respected...all the best...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting view. Im vegetarian and teetotal, but even if i wasnt, i would have no worries at all about reciting the kavacha. This has been a wonderful protection over many years and chanted by crores and crores of devotees down the ages. But if it is not for you, fair enough.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. if you have real faith... in Her Name...then what need is of the kavacham..? so u need to develop faith in Her Names...only Her Names can free us...even in most difficult or easiest? of times...all the best...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd position you argue, friend. These ARE a garland of the names and they cause abdolutely no harm to the person who recites them. Names in turn give rise to form, and the PRESENCE of the great Devi is what all devotees truly seek to merge with. This kavach is one of Her great boons to us and I can attest to this in my life.

      Delete
  5. You may well be right BD...sorry for the rant...perhaps i need to cultivate faith in this direction...all the best

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Brahmachari Ji for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much everyone for the input. If there is fear about doing the "wrong thing", mispronouncing the names etc, be comforted. If you are performing an extremely complex yajna or reciting the vedas, performing a long ceremony then correct pronunciation is important, along with great respect for the dharma of what you are doing... and all these are usually the province of brahmin priests who are very well trained for this.
      A kavach is however a personal devotion, and done in good intention for good reasons, not selfish gain.
      The American sadhu Swami Satyananda has written a pamphlet on this and concludes that best efforts and a merciful Mother are what bring you through.
      I've added a bit in this blog on a mantras to say at the end of the Kavach if you are worried about making a mistake...

      Delete
  7. Opinions vary about the Kali's Odiyya book, which I read a few years ago. But clearly there are very divergent views on this topic. I can only speak from my own experience and knowledge of the sadhana of others in attesting the wonderful value of this practice. The Mother's grace will guard you from harm. This may seem very simplistic but it is a deep truth worth contemplating. What we are really talking about here is cleansing, inner cleansing, and the process of inner purification and its subjective experience of discomfort varies from individual to individual, depending on the purity of the nervous system. Cleansing can at times be turbulent, and certainly demands courage and endurance. Many through the ages have found the shakti path and walked along it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the useful information on devikavach. Someone told me to recite the devikavacha daily not only for betterment but also to worship my kuladevata. When I read & listen this with excitement I also read the actul meaning of the lines. I like to listen it & really wish to start reciting daily.
    Now a doubt troubling & stopping me is...I am not pure vegiterian & also not that satvik by thoughts, nature & behaviour though I am spiritual. I am worried if there would be negetive effect once I started reciting daily. I will be greateful to mother devine if I will be free from these negetive things. Also wish to know what are the do's & donts for one who starts reciting the devikavach...Please guide...Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the post but some of these words are not spelt properly and there are some words that are missing. This is not the complete Kavach. For a complete Kavach with the right words go to this link, http://shobhasinha.blogspot.com/2013/04/durga-kavach-in-sanskrit.html.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will check your kavach transcription and see where we match or disagree...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have updated and revised the text, many thanks for this most helpful link... there are regional differences with this text but this excellent text version of yours has helped some textual obscurities, so the newly updated version is now the one in this blog post...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is it okay to chant only the kavach leaving aside the results part, i.e. chant the first 37 shlokas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. Best to include, but your choice. Most kavachas include the benefits bit. Some don't.

      Delete
  15. I have obsessive compulsive, and the thoughts have hurt me so much I havent been able to eat, I tell everyone I love how much I love them because the part of me that is left wants to feel love. I played the mantra, and I felt my heart open, I felt so much better. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your honesty...modern life can be very difficult and our minds can often simply find it hard to cope, especially if we feel we have a huge pit of emptiness inside us that needs to be filled. Only love can fill this hole, but also, the love is already there just hidden way inside of us. But this is no help to know if we feel we are simply drowning in mental troubles and obsessive thoughts. This is where you need a surgical blade to cut through the noise. And by that, we mean Japa. Do Japa as much as you can.

      Delete
  16. Thanks for the wonderful article brother. Durga Kavach is indeed fantastic and has helped me with health recovery as well as offering spiritual protection. I have uploaded a video with compilation of my favorite pictures of mother along with English subtitles for lyrics and meaning (along with beautiful rendition by Gundecha brothers). Hope you like it,,,,,

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHpSs2cqb_w

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do the girls read the tara kavach, if she s having periods?

    ReplyDelete
  18. My suggestion is do what the custom of your culture says. In the west, it's a different set of customs from India.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello
    If the devi kavach is not well pronounce does it affect the individual badly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you say your mothers name wrongly but with love, does she whip you for it?

      Delete
  20. Does one need any upadesham or initiation to chant Chandi Kavacham???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to love and trust Mother. You need to believe she will help. You have to repeat this with reverence. These are the three elements which will initiate you. This is a personal dialogue between you and Her. The only qualification you need is Ma Bhakti. Otherwise, what good would it do, even if the Shankaracharya himsrlf or prestigious head of a Mutt gave you some ceremony. Take her names like a life raft on the stormy seas of Samsara. Dont delay! The evening is drawing in.

      Delete
  21. Thanks for the kavach Babasri, it's beautiful and I'm grateful to know how to ask Her for help this way.

    I have learned the sri hanuman chalisa and sing it often. That is also promising protection and salvation as this kavacha. Will I be double protecting myself? What happens if I sing both? I also sing Hari's name in japa. Isn't his name his presence and so protection itself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you be a little grown up, here? You choose the devotional path best fitting your character and tendencies. All protection is good, but just be sensible. It is your choice, no one elses. So do what feels the most valuable to you. Then stick to it.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the reply. I'll have to wander a bit and see where my heart settles.

      Delete
  22. babaji namaste

    after how many chants does the kavach gets energised or siddh ??

    thanks Kumar

    ReplyDelete
  23. babaji namaste

    after how many chants does the kavach gets energised or siddh ??

    thanks Kumar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This depends on your own effort, and on the dEvi's grace. One chant is sufficient, from one serious and one-pointed heart. If you do not believe in the power of this kavach, you will miss the subtle signs of its protection. Every day we are protected in a hidden way from many hostile energies and situations, which we do not realise. The Mother always protects Her devotees. Always.

      Delete
  24. Pujya Babaji,

    The Divine Mother has been a wonderful mother to me- looking over me since childhood. A few years back I was introduced to manaspujan and I performed Mother's manaspujan daily for a couple of years. I am not sure but it appears that for the last few months, someone is attempting to create hardships for me and to block all avenues. It could be that they are trying to pull me down or to use my good for their benefit or it may just be a figment of my imagination and that I am facing these situations due to my own karma. In searching for an upaya, I came across Devi Argala Stotram and Devi Kavacha. Thank you for your post in this regard- I found it very informative. Although I am comfortable with complex Sanskrit pronunciation, it might be a few weeks before I can fluently recite the stotras. Also, I may not be able to find time everyday. Therefore, it is alright if I listen to them while driving or doing my chores? I would very much appreciate your feedback.
    Thank you,
    Mother's child

    ReplyDelete
  25. .......Also, I woke up from sleep one night and saw a man squatting on my bed with a knife in his hand and with pure, uncontrolled anger/animosity on his face, he was stabbing the entire bed - any and everywhere he could see, repeatedly and uncontrollably. Thinking that I was going to die soon, I pulled the cover over my head and awaited my fate. A few minutes later, I removed the cover and there was nothing! The door was locked all along- no one had entered or left! I have never seen such a thing before and I am sure that I was not dreaming. I am not into drugs/ alcohol. This is what made me think that someone is trying something that I do not understand. Once again, I may be totally wrong here. In any case, I do believe that Mother's kavacha would be of great help. Please advice as to whether I can routinely listen to it, instead of reciting.

    Thanks so much.
    Mother's child

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you call yourself the Mother's child, why then are you worried? Don't you trust that the Mother will always protect those who call for Her help. Listen to the kavacha, yes, get it into your mind, body and senses. Then learn it and recite it.

      Delete
  26. listening helps u get the benefit of 50% of chanting as per many people experienced and unknowingly after few months u your mind imprints those lines n start to recite on its own when u want to, without seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. All this measuring of amounts and percentages... this is just applying a measuring ruler when its not needed. You need to recite it, not just listen to it. Just get the flavour. But there is also no harm in learning. How you learn is up to you. But if you are attracted to this kavach and believe it will help, then learn and recite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Babaji,
      I will follow your advice. I began by listening to it yesterday and had a good day today!

      Delete
  28. Namastey Babaji. I've been reciting Amogh Shiv Kavach every Monday since past few weeks. While reciting it my right leg freezes almost like a rock(although it does get back to normal a few minutes after I finish) Is there something wrong I am doing? Any procedure, niyam to be followed before the recitation? Please help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, how are you sitting? You may be simply cutting off blood supply by the way you sit. Stop this fearfulness and just recite.

      Delete
    2. The usual cross legged way. And well yes I am going to recite it no matter what. :) Although I am not able to decide if I should recite it everyday. I recite Mahishasur Mardini Strotam on rest of the days.

      Delete
    3. Babaji so sorry to bother you again on this topic. I have seen people taking some water in hand and leaving it on floor after reciting the viniyog part. Why do they do so? Do you do the same too?

      Delete
  29. Pujya Babaji,
    As I had mentioned in my earlier post, I began listening to the Kavach since Sept20 and have experienced two significant reactions. The first is that I am so drawn to the Mantra that I cannot wait to finish work to dash back home to listen to it. Now I am not satisfied by just listening but wish to recite it as well. I am waiting for the pronunciation to imprint accurately and then will commence recitals. The second reaction is that my old illnesses are returning. I am waiting to see if they become severe enough to warrant medication or dissipate away.
    -The Mother's child

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very encouraging, By Divine Mother grace She makes me read Her Kavach daily and I have strong experiences of being protected by it. Initially I just read it in a go, slowly it started melting inside me as I focused on words and meaning as well, as Words generates feeling and create pictures inside our mind. Then slowly I concentrated on each name of Mother Divine and felt my Mother Divine has taken so many beautiful form to protect Her child, and She resides inside me for protection and always watching me. After keeping intellect and logics aside, Its our strong feeling, belief and "Bhava" which brings Prayers to live.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dear Babaji,
    I am from India, living in the United States and on the spiritual path for the last 5+ years. I have read many spiritual scriptures and I consider your website, and the wonderful articles therein, to be akin to spiritual literature that I can relate very well to and get my doubts cleared. I very much appreciate your labor of love in writing such illuminating articles and helping us all on the spiritual path. Please continue writing such wonderful articles as this one about Kavach. Thank you.
    Om Sri Matre Namah ||
    Regards,
    Subbu

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very kind and sweet words, I am entirely not worthy of them, but thanks so much...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Babajee greetings --please help me regarding my query to recite Durga kavacham mentally?or it can be only read loud ..?

    Regards
    Raj thakur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you talk to your mother do you communicate inwardly or aloud?

      Delete